It makes for a more personal and engaging experience than just voice. You can read more about using a webcam here. We’ve also included information on Skype, the most common video calling service, as well as tips on how you can use this tool.
Skype: This online tool allows you to make video calls for free around the world. You can use this to connect from computer to computer to your friends and (using webcams) see each other and connect over any distance.
- People all around the world utilize the video calling to stay connected to their friends that may not be nearby.
- If you or your friends don’t have a webcam, you can make free Skype-to-Skype calls and connect that way as well.
- You can sign up for a free account here and download Skype here. You can even sign up with your Facebook.
It can help to schedule a time with your friends so that they know to set aside the time to catch up. You can message them on Facebook or text them to set something up. Check with your parents to make sure that you’ll have time on the computer (if you share a family computer). You also want to think about:
- Spend your time talking about positive things. You don’t want to dwell on how tough the move is or the bad things about the new area. It helps to talk about the good times you’ve had.
- Be flexible with your friends regarding time and be forgiving if they have to cut your time short.
- From a practical position, make sure that you are somewhere quiet that has a reliable internet connection. It can be difficult calling from a Starbucks for example with the background noise.